For more information see: http://delphix.com
Delphix is the most powerful product to improve development output and quality in the 20+ years I’ve been working with databases. It improves development by eliminating the enormous infrastructure, bureaucracy and time drag that it takes to provision databases for development environments. Development environments depend on having a copies of production databases and Delphix allows provisioning in a few minutes with almost no storage overhead by sharing duplicate blocks among all the copies.
If you could create as many copies as you wanted of production databases for development, reporting and QA, how many would you create? 10,20, a 100? It is easily possible in the space of a single copy of the production database by sharing the common blocks between all the copies. Sharing the common blocks is called thin cloning. Thin cloning give enormous disk savings by sharing the majority of source database data blocks. Thin cloning has been around for over 15 years but due constraints such as scripting, specialized hardware and specialized administrators saw little adoption of thin cloning. Thin cloning ultimately lead to database virtualization which breaks down all the barriers providing an automated, simple, fast and hardware agnostic software stack. Adoption has finally exploded with the database virtualization. Virtual databases can be created, refreshed, rolled back, rolled forward and deleted in minutes. Virtual databases can be provisioned from any second within the source databases retention window which is typically several weeks. Every developer can have their own full copy of production databases, production databases can have 50 days of backup live online in the space of one backup. Backups can be brought online in minutes, data reviewed or extract and the copy removed in seconds. QA teams can go from one test environment to instead having multiple full copies of production database allowing running QA tests in parallel. The software is easy enough to be administered by a junior DBA and the interface is so simple that developers can do self service provisioning and refreshes of databases.
I’m not sure if you can imagine the ease and savings of virtualizing databases. Database Virtualization gives:
- Project acceleration as developers can get copies in minutes
- Project parallelization as each developer can have their own copy
- Project stability as errors can be caught using full copies instead of subsets
- Production protection with recovery from logical corruptions in minutes
- Storage savings
Delphix is software. Delphix installs on any x86 box, supports any Oracle OS (as well as SQL Server) and uses any storage. The source database is copied onto the Delphix machine with RMAN APIs, the data is compressed and Delphix handles capturing new changes on the source database and provisioning of virtual databases. Virtual database can be provisioned from the original source at any second or any SCN during the source retention window which is typically 2 weeks. Then you can make as many copies as you want for almost free.
Delphix technology adoption is exploding and rapidly being harnessed by leading companies across industries. Delphix has been implemented at Deutch Bank (banking), Ebay (online consumer) , Tivo (consumer tech), Staples (retail), Macys (clothing), Facebook (social networking), Informatica (enterprise software), Comcast (telcom), KLA Tencor (hardware), Krogers (grocers ), Holland America (travel), New York Life (insurance), Molina (Health care) .
Delphix makes all of this easy with no changes on production and the creation of virtual database is just a few clicks of a mouse in GUI .
For more information see: http://www.delphix.com
- Forbes: Delphix Shrinks Database Complexity 100-Fold
- WSJ: “Jed is a phenomenal CEO, … He has great technology and he’s assembling a great team.”http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2012/07/24/delphix-wants-to-virtualize-your-databases/
- Delphix – How virtual databases can close data centers http://www.zdnet.com/delphix-how-virtual-databases-can-close-data-centers-7000008702/
- Innovation bottleneck: The database
- Governments continue to invest in cloud technology http://govpro.com/technology/hardware_software/Delphix-20121128/
- Delphix and Carahsoft Partner to Accelerate Government Procurement of Database Virtualization Solutionhttp://www.prweb.com/releases/DelphixCarahsoftGSA/8_2012/prweb9800462.htm
- 4 smokin’ hot startups: The next tech boom http://www.infoworld.com/d/the-industry-standard/4-smokin-hot-startups-the-next-tech-boom-209026
- Delphix Secures Strategic Partnership and Technology Development Agreement From IQT to Support U.S. Intelligence Community http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/delphix-secures-strategic-partnership-technology-development-agreement-from-iqt-support-1736003.htm
- Jedidiah Yueh: Founder and CEO, Delphix
- Delphix Selected as Winner of 2012 Top 100 Global Red Herring
- “Delphix, simply put is a database virtualization tool. “http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/dba/what-is-delphix-for-sql-server/
- Delphix customer use cases with SQL Server http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/dba/use-cases-for-delphix/
- Delphix partnership slashes time, cost of database management http://dlvr.it/2JDbCT
- Pella opens window of opportunity with database virtualization softwarehttp://searchdatamanagement.techtarget.com/feature/Pella-opens-window-of-opportunity-with-database-virtualization-software